Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Brady Harris Peacock



On June 16 at 2:07 PM we welcomed little Brady into our family! And we couldn't have asked for a more perfect baby.

On Friday Cody and I were sitting in the living room trying to decide what we wanted to have for lunch when my phone rang. It was the hospital and they said "we've decided to induce you today so pack a bag and get here as soon as you can!" Cody and I were a bit stunned because we weren't expecting to even talk about an induction date until Monday. We got together a few things and headed to the hospital. Once there I was admitted and they watched the baby's heart rate and movements for over an hour to make sure things were still going well and then the doctor came in and talked to us about the game plan. We were pretty lucky and had a really awesome doctor who was a locum from Calgary so I had never met her. At about 4:45 she came in and broke my water. They started me on oxytocin and then the long wait began.

I tried real hard to have a natural birth and made it through 9 hours of hard labour before I finally caved and got the epidural. It was sweet relief. I believe my exact words were, " I think we should name this baby Epidural." After a very long night the dr came to see us again and finally at about 10 AM I was fully dilated but I wasn't feeling ready to push. They kept upping my dosage of oxytocin to try and make my contractions stronger and closer together but the opposite was happening. They continued to get weaker and farther apart despite the drugs. The baby was also face up making it a very difficult position to deliver so after 4 more hours of monitoring, drugs, and a few trial pushes the dr decided it was time to get the baby out via c-section. One hour later at 2:07 PM little baby Brady was born. I was pretty out of it during the actual procedure but I do remember when they told us it was a boy and when they brought him over to us so we could see him. Most of it is just a blur but I do remember feeling completely overwhelmed and totally in love with my new baby.

He is pretty much the most perfect little boy ever! We are so happy. It has been an adjustment but at the same time it's pretty crazy just how natural it all seems to have him here.

Just a couple hours after being born


Ready to leave the hospital

Enjoying his first car ride!




4 comments:

  1. congrats mal!! he's seriously so cute!! He's perfect. I hope you're recovering well. C-sections can suck. have fun being a mama! it's the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's so adorable. Can't wait to meet him! Hope you are having a good recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's so beautiful Mal. Can hardly wait it meet him in person. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spencer really likes the first picture. Kinda like Mother Theresa...maybe he's gonna be a saint? So cute. We love him already too!

    ReplyDelete