Tuesday, September 28, 2010

First Trip to Edmonton

This past weekend Cody and I went on a little weekend get-away down to Edmonton. It was Cody's first time in Edmonton and he was pretty impressed. He really liked the city and loved West Edmonton Mall. The reason we went down to Edmonton was to see a concert that I had given tickets to Cody for as his birthday present. The concert we went to see was Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti. They were opening for The Flaming Lips. They were both really good! Cody and I got to meet Ariel Pink and Cody kept talking to him and by the end of the concert I think that he was pretty sick of us! But it was a lot of fun! The Flaming Lips put on a really good show. Unfortunately we forgot to take the camera with us so we don't have any pictures other than on our phones.
The next day we dropped Ruby off at my sister Em's house and then headed back to the mall. We spent a few hours at the West Edmonton Mall water slides. They were a lot of fun! We even braved the red straight down slides and really enjoyed them! When we had had enough of the water we spent a bit of time walking around the mall.
That night we met my sister Em and her husband Trevor and son Tyler at Olive Garden for dinner. I love it there because they have really awesome breadsticks but again it was Cody's first time. He enjoyed the food a lot. We had a really fun time with Em and Trev at the restaurant and afterwards at their house as Cody and Trevor bonded over youtube videos.
On Sunday Cody learned the joy of IKEA as we walked around for his first time. I personally love IKEA and could spend a lot of time and money there if I had it. And after IKEA we discovered a new burger joint that we both really enjoyed. It isn't a new restaurant, just new to us and it turned out to be pretty good!  Cody thinks we should make it a point to eat there every time we go to Edmonton. He loves burgers.
All in all it was a very good weekend and Cody was really happy with his first experience in Edmonton. And I kind of missed being there too. Driving around brought back a lot of memories and I remembered what I liked about Edmonton. I think we are going to try and make it a monthly thing to go to Edmonton, do some shopping, eat some good food, and get away because, to be frank, Fort McMurray is a bit of a hole!

4 comments:

  1. You came to the place that I live and didn't call me...I'm a little bit hurt! Of course I'm glad you had fun and Cody loved Edmonton but seriously! CALL ME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mal, it was a good visit. I'd like to suggest that you change your font or your background color. it is a little hard to read!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. good suggestion emily...i had my nose to the screen haha

    (ps: i love visiting edmonton too!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey guys. Sounds like a lovely weekend. May I congratulate you Cody on coming out from under your rock and experiencing all those things, finally. Ha ha. Being married to Mal your adventures have just begun. And I mean that in a very sincere way. She knows how to grab the bull by the horns and have fun. Nice to hear what you guys are up to. And Mal, I'm glad you liked the cake, and I will try those bread crumbs. I usually just get the normal ones, but those sound good. Love, jen

    ReplyDelete